Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Inner Beauty

1 Peter 3:3, "Do not let your adornment be merely outward - arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel-rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."

What exactly does it mean to have a gentle and quiet spirit? As the Lord began working in this area of my life, I learned it doesn't mean just being quiet. I realized I could have a quiet and very ungentle spirit. I think you know what I'm talking about, when our silence is screaming at the top of our lungs? For me it is the set of my jaw, and the 'hairy eyeball' (as we call it in my family).

I remember a number of year's back we had Zach over to visit. He and my son were spending the afternoon together. That following weekend, Zach had to draw a family picture in Sunday school. His mother told me he had added me to his drawing. I was so touched. I leaned over to Zach and said how special it was that he did that. He looked and me and said, "YUP, I drew you with the angry eyes". I was so startled. I didn't quite know what to say. We can speak volumes without ever opening our mouths. Are you gentle in spirit?

'Gentle', according to the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary, is: "free from harshness, sternness, or violence"You'll notice this is not just about our behavior. It is about a deep residing spirit of quietness and gentleness. You see it is what is in our heart that shows up on our face, in our attitude and our behavior. Peter says it is the "incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit" Incorruptible: not subject to decay or dissolution (on-line dictionary).

Ladies, the beauty that is precious in the sight of God is the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit... very Precious. Your challenge for today is to ask God to show you ways in which you are not gentle and seek his power to change.

Diane

No comments: