Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Press In to Grace

Press In To Grace

"Breaking Satan's foothold requires at least one person to press into God's grace. It cannot happen when either party 'feels' like it, for none of us will ever feel like forgiving. None of us feel like talking when we have been hurt. Our natural response is to withdraw or lash out at the offending party. It is only obedience that allows God's grace to cover the wrongs incurred."1

This quote, from an online devotional sent to me this morning by a brother in the faith, is so timely and without question, I know it's sent to me, among many others, because God is all about refining us and ridding us of all our foolishness and pride.

Our Holy and Sovereign God is calling for and asking all of His children to grow up and out of kindergarten faith. He has pursued and called us and it is time for us to press hard into grace, making known to each other the truth and love that is firmly established by grace alone.

There have been quite a few moments these past few days and weeks where the Holy Spirit has quickened in me an awareness which has enabled me to catch myself in the act of "stinking thinking." You know what? Like month-old garbage on a hot summer day, the aroma of some of my thinking has been extremely unpleasant...and I praise God all the more for grace, and for the reminder that grace, HIS GRACE, is sufficient.

So much of the small stuff that we sweat about is not worth the energy that we expend on it. Grace, marvelous grace has saved us and allows us to see and know that change needs to take place. Put another way, I need to press into the grace that saved me, lest I forget who I am, where I have come from and where I would be...WERE IT NOT FOR GRACE!!

Whether you have been saved a minute or a multitude of years, pressing into grace is not an option. We need the salve and the healing which grace accomplishes in our hearts and we need to never-no-never forget to extend grace -in all its forms- toward others. "

The next time you are hurt by someone, realize the gravity of the crossroads where you find yourself. Choose grace instead of______________________."2"

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth...and from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:14, 16 Selah...Stephanie Paul is Director of Women's Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

1 Today God is First by Os Hillman, a free devotional from Crosswalk.com2 ibid

No comments: