Monday, September 05, 2005

Watch out for Hurry Sickness: The Powerful Practice of Rest

We have already looked at fasting and prayer, but how about rest. Think about it -- you cannot practice either without slowing up our lives. John Ortberg in his book the Life You've Always Wanted states that Hurry is not just a disordered schedule. Hurry is a disordered heart.

Jesus was very aware of this kind of lifestyle problem. We see over and over again in scripture where he withdrew from the crowds and activities. In Mark 6:31, he taught his followers to do the same... Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest. Mark also records that Jesus took his disciples aside to rest in 3:7-9; 6:45; 7:24; 9:30. I don't know about you, but if Jesus and his disciples needed rest I most certainly need it too. In fact, as I have told you about my physical struggles in the past one thing the doctors have repeated told me is to SLOW down and rest. I am guilty as the next person of trying to do all and cram it all into life. Those of us in ministry also struggle with taking time out to rest. It is not easy with family, jobs, and other demands placed before us.

Just as fasting means to refrain from something, so solitude and rest means to refrain from society. Henri Nouwen wrote, In solitude, I get rid of my scaffolding. Scaffolding is all the stuff we use to keep ourselves propped up. In solitude and rest everyone is truly just as I am.

We need daily solitude and rest � even if in small chunks. Then we need a time of extended solitude for a day (or more) to really recoup. When my body gets physically tired I crash, I mean I literally cannot get out of bed even though I really want to. We need to take solitude from life before we crash so that we can deal with life issues as they come along. We need time to reset our emotional and spiritual clocks. Find your moments of solitude, plan in times of rest. Jesus DID.

Psalms 46:10 �Be Still and know that I am God.�

No comments: