Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fear

A few moments ago, I was reading an article in my local paper about "faking courage" which brought to mind a recent conversation I'd had with my good and faithful friend Diane. In that conversation I shared a string of thoughts which included a not-so- new-to-her-fact, that this almost 52 year old woman is afraid of the dark (among other things).

The Lord Himself knows how I wish I wasn't, and yet, the truth is, I am. I can go way back in my childhood memories and pinpoint specific things, occurrences: such as scary stories, the bogeyman, etc. All of which cultivated in me this deep fear of what could be in the dark which I cannot see that could hurt me.

One of the statements the writer made in the article was: "To this day, I'm uncomfortable in basements and dislike sitting with my back to windows at night."1 I can relate to that. In fact, I could add a whole bunch of other things to that list.

She goes on to say: "I know people whose fear of bridges or heights has stopped them from traveling. Several close relatives were so terrified of cats, they got goosebumps if they saw one. And what fears are more daunting than those of failure or success, which keeps us silent and immobile in the face of opportunity or change...everything we do out of our comfort zone is scary."2

All of this brings my thoughts back to the myriad conversations I've had with Di over the years about stepping out of my "comfort zone(s)". Personally, I like my comfort zones. Why? Well, because they're comfortable. And yet, as true as it is that I could be a-okay with my status quo, I am not okay with settling for less than I was created for.

"He whom the Son sets free is free indeed."3

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of POWER and of LOVE and of a SOUND mind."4

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."5

If, in fact, I am free, then I must require more of me, as He enables and equips me for, rather than sitting still IN FEAR for fear of "whatever" could or would happen IF...

I can choose to get up and walk in power, thinking with the sound mind which the LORD has given me and walk forward doing the "whatever" in LOVE instead of fear.

"Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."6

I could tell you lots of stories of my failure to walk in faith. But this Victory Call is not about all the ways I could and sometimes do let fear overwhelm. It is about Him and all the ways I could also tell you of His perfect love casting out fear IN moments of great distress.

Dear sister, whether you are like me or not, there may be a situation you are living with or within right now and there is only one thing for you to do - RUN!! Run to Abba!

Running to Abba Father in the Word has a huge impact on our soul! His Spirit in us is instantly quickened and we will find over and over again that to stand and persevere will reap a reward that all by itself accomplishes His will IN us.

In Psalm 56:11 the psalmist writes, "In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" This is an awesome testimony to the power of trusting in God. Regardless of what happens, the psalmist will trust in God because he knows and understands the power of God. The key to overcoming fear, then, is total and complete trust in God. Trusting God is a refusal to give in to fear. It is a turning to God even in the darkest times and trusting Him to make things right. This trust comes from knowing God and knowing that He is good. As Job said when he was experiencing some of the most difficult trials recorded in the Bible, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" (Job 13:15 NKJV)."7

Stephanie

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "instrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiction Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:10-11
10and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. 11For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

1 Bobbi Seidel: Second Thoughts "Faking Courage.." Observer Reporter 1/27/2011
2 ibid
3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%208:36&version=NKJV
4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Timothy%201:7&version=NKJV
5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20John%204:18&version=NKJV
6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isaiah%2041:10&version=NKJV
7 http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-fear.html

No comments: