Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Yes...or Better

A couple weeks ago I heard something in a message by Charles Zimmerman and it stuck in my mind. I've been mulling it over since it was a really different way of thinking about things. He mentioned a phone call he received from a man at his church whose wife had just passed away after a battle with cancer. The man told Charles that he and his wife had been holding on to something Charles had said in a recent sermon, that God answers our prayers either "Yes" or "Better."

I have often been told God answers us "Yes," "No" or "Wait." I think I like Charles' answer for one simple reason. "No" is not something any of us wants to hear. And while waiting is a part of life, most of us don't really like it. But "no" and "wait" can both be superceded by "better." And I think most of the time, I don't really know what to ask God for anyway. But He still wants me to ask and to trust Him that He will either answer "yes" and give me what I ask, or He has something better in store for me.

Jesus told His followers, Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:9-11 NIV) Jesus is basically telling us "yes" or "better" is our Father's answer!

How much more eagerly would we go to our Father with our requests if we knew His answer would be either "Yes" or "Better"? "For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us." (2 Corinthians 1:20).

Trust His heart and know that His answer is "Yes" or "Better"!

RS
Ruth Schmidt is on full-time staff at America's Keswick, and grateful to be a daughter of the King.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:13
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one

No comments: