Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Letting Go

Letting Go
Sometimes we think that letting go means that we have to cease to love or care about the ones we have been holding on to or trying to "help." Back in the mid 1990's I had to let go and let God take care of my drug addicted sons. Letting go was a long process and one of the hardest things I had ever done. But I never stopped caring or loving them. I had discovered through the Word that my sons had only been on loan to me and I needed to let them go back into the arms of their heavenly Father. Ps. 24:1 says "The earth is the Lords and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." Mommy's always think they can kiss the boo-boo and make it go away...fix anything. I came to understand only God can do that. I may not be able to "fix" those I love, but I still have something important to do.
In Genesis is the story of Abraham and Sarah. I'm sure that you are familiar with their story. Abraham and Sarah were an elderly childless couple...he was 86 and she 77. God spoke to Abram, as he was known then, in chapter 15:4 and promised him more descendants than there were stars. That's some promise to an old man and woman well past childbearing years! Abram believed and let go. Sarah, who was known as Sarai at the time, couldn't let go. She had a little trouble believing God and thought she could help God along in this impossible task.
Sarai had Abram sleep with her maidservant so he could have the family that God promised. Well of course that didn't turn out very well. The Egyptian maidservant Hagar became pregnant and started to despise Sarai. Sarai began to mistreat Hagar, and so she ran away.
Hagar didn't get very far when the Lord intervened. (Gen. 16:7-16) Hagar was pregnant, scared and running away and the voice of the Lord spoke to her. He told her to go back.....He promised her that her descendants would be too numerous to count. God had heard her cry. She was to have a son and name him Ishmael. This would sooth her heart a bit, but then God gave her some bad news. Ishmael was going to be a wild guy, a bully with a chip on his shoulder, ready to fight everyone. He wasn't even going to live in harmony with his family. I think Hagar stopped listening after "the Lord has heard your misery". So Hagar went back.
Abram heard God's promise for Ishmael. He let go, but continued to pray for his son. (Gen: 17:15-21) Then 13 years later, God said to Abraham "And as for Ishmael, I HAVE HEARD YOU. I will surely bless him." Thirteen years after his birth and Abram had been praying all this time! God heard and He answered!
We're not to "let go and forget" but, let go and let God. We still have something to do and that is pray without ceasing and surrender our will and loved ones to the Lord. God alone has the power to change. There is such freedom in that! We lay our loved ones at the cross, love them and never stop praying for them.
There is a song by Carrie Underwood titled "Jesus Take the Wheel" that I just love. It's a good reminder for me that I must give the wheel to Jesus because it's the only hope for change.
Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go...
Jesus take the wheel.
Never stop doing your part, keep praying but make sure Jesus is the one at the wheel!

Mary Ann

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Joyce and letting go, letting God seems to be a constant slogan for me and has been for many years.

Right now I have given to God my desire to have a loving relationship with three of my daughters and grandchildren (10 altogether). At this time
I do not have a relationship with any of them. Our family was very dysfunctional. My ex-spouse was an alcoholic batterer and I was very much depressed while the children were growing up.

I have learned to thank God in all things I see the blessing for this estrangement as it has giving me time to care for myself while I keep my loved ones in God's care.

My favorite Christian song is "In His Time". I sing this song whenever I find myself longing for my children.

I wish all a wonderful Happy New Year in the Lord,

Hugs and Blessings,
Joyce