Thursday, December 13, 2007

Fear

Fear
I've been thinking a lot about fear lately, asking myself what I am afraid of and why on earth I am afraid of it. For example, I have been afraid of the dark for as long as I can remember. At various times over the years I have made intentional steps toward victory. The first one came because I was simply tired of being afraid of the dark; tired of running up the stairs at night so the dark (or whatever I was afraid was in it) wouldn't get me. I remember standing and speaking to the darkness and to the enemy in it, saying, "No more! Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world." After that I turned and walked slowly and deliberately up the stairs, choosing to fight the "feeling" of fear.
There are many other things I could list, but frankly speaking, I don't wish to spend one more second pondering on or talking about the things that fill me with fear. I'd rather tell myself the truth, "God did not give me a spirit of fear. Rather, He gave me a spirit of power, and of love and of a sound mind. So that means, empowered by the Holy Spirit of God in me, I can take captive stinky thinking and with a sound mind tell myself the truth "greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world- and because the love of Christ is in me, I will not be afraid!
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." ~~ 1John 4:18 (NKJV) ¹ "You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." ~~1 John 4:4 (NKJV) ¹ For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." ~~2Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) ¹ Dear sister, there is no fear in Christ. Our life in Christ removes all fear.
Stephanie

"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." ~~ Louis E. Boone ²

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~~Dale Carnegie ²

"It is the nature of slavery to render its victims so abject that at last, fearing to be free, they multiply their own chains. You can liberate a free man, but you cannot liberate a slave."
~~Louis J. Hall ²

All forms of fear produce fatigue. ~~Bertrand Russell Fear is the prison of the heart. ~~ Anonymous ¹ biblegateway.com ² heatquotes.net

No comments: