Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Precious Legacy

My Precious Legacy
After getting to know my husband's family I became envious of the legacy that he had. His family is full of fun traditions that I had not grown up with. More important than the traditions were the people behind them. Dave was blessed to still have living grandparents when I had already lost my parents. Dave had "Little Mom" and "Pop" both until they were 90 years old. And we are blessed to still have his Mom and Dad. Dad is looking forward to 80/60 next year! Eighty years old and 60 years married he told us when we saw him last. What a blessed legacy!
I never knew my Dad's mother and I never knew my Mom's father. Both died before I was born. My Mom's mother died when I was 12 so I have few memories of her and my Dad's father died when I was 19 but I was into my life and so I really didn't spend a lot of time with him. After both my parents had died I went to the cemetery where they are buried. I went to "talk". There were issues I needed to resolve and unfortunately I only had headstones to talk to. I was reminded that day that my grandparents were also buried at the same cemetery. I began to walk around and after awhile I came to the family plot where my grandparents, great- aunts and uncles are buried. There was a large family stone and then a number of smaller stones in a row. I came to my Grandmother's resting place and found that on the headstone was John 14:19b "Because I live, you also will live." I looked in amazement at my legacy! I never knew my grandmother. Did my Grandmother request that verse? Did my Grandfather choose that verse? Did I have a legacy that I didn't even know about? I thanked God for this knowledge that somewhere in my past was a godly heritage and that I would continue to be part of it! As I turned to go back to my car I heard that still small voice of God tell me to turn around. I took a few more steps and again felt the need to turn around. As I turned I saw the other side of the family headstone. In large capital letters it read "SAVED BY GRACE"! I hardly could believe it! There was my heritage! I had a legacy too!
I don't want those who come behind me to have to look so hard for their legacy. I want them to know that they have a godly heritage. It will be each one's choice to take that heritage for themselves but they will know that I chose Jesus Christ and as we pray and pour our lives into our kids and grandkids who knows how our legacy will touch their lives!
1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."
It is never too late to leave a legacy, one that will last for eternity!
Kathy

No comments: