Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Singing and Dancing

Singing and dancing

I know some of you grew up in churches that didn't allow dancing. I grew up in an atmosphere where singing and dancing were very much a part of my Ukrainian culture. Whenever family and friends gathered you could bet there would be folk songs sung and couples twirling to polkas. I loved dancing the polka with my Poppa, my brother Adolf and my Uncle Albert. When you polka you can't help but smile and laugh. I recall those times with a bitter sweetness. My brother Adolf died in 1976 and with his death, the polka died too. My parents no longer danced.
In this past week I've discovered a scripture through my "Grace Walk" study by Steve McVey that has opened my eyes in a whole new way.

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Savior [Who saves]! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest [in silent satisfaction] and in His love He will be silent and make no mention [of past sins, or even recall them]; He will exult over you with singing.1

Steve McVey pointed out that the word "exalt" means "to twirl, to dance with enthusiasm. He rejoices over you with shouts of joy." 2Can you imagine our Father God loving us so much, we who are His children through spiritual rebirth, that He sings and dances...not just dances but twirls (I like to think it's a polka) over us!!! Wow...that's my Abba Father, dancing over me! Me? Can I believe that He would dance over me even though I still mess up? Yes! Yes! Yes! And He dances and sings over you too! Doesn't that just put a smile on your face?
The polka hasn't died. It's alive and well and today...my God, my Savior is dancing over you and me! May this truth sink deep in your heart and soul. When someone asks why your smiling...you can tell them, you can't help but smile and rejoice because God is dancing the polka over you today!

MaryAnn

No comments: