Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What Do You Say Love Is?

What Do You Say Love Is?

One of my all time favorite songs is by Bette Midler titled "The Rose".
A few years ago I took my mom out to lunch and sitting in the parking lot of the restaurant I played the song for her. I'd recently checked the CD out from the local library and as I'd listened to the song with new ears, I'd thought of my Mom and the fact that she is in the winter of her life. Spring has passed and she has done so much living in her span of years as well as some dying -dying to hopes and dreams. My desire was to encourage her to dream new dreams and hope new hopes, plant new flowers and dance new dances, take a chance and plant new seeds in her garden for love -new love- to grow and flourish.
She's had a few more birthdays since then and it's been a blessing to watch her embrace her life and live it. It may be winter but she still has a graceful steady spring in her step...and more importantly the Son shines brightly in her soul and spirit.

My love for this beautiful woman is something my heart and life are not adequately able to express and what I say love is (in an earthly way) is Mom. A beautiful flower, like the crocus, that peeks its head above ground at the slightest hint of spring. Every year I am amazed to see this happen. The crocus shows up, having pushed through the hard, sometimes snow covered, winter ground...drawn upward by the sun. Nothing keeps it in the ground. It pops through and shows of its simple beauty, just by being itself.

Stephanie

No comments: