Friday, January 16, 2009

FOR HIM

"For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings." Hebrews 2:10.
Every once in a while a Scripture I've read many, many times springs off the page, pricks my spirit and begins to find a home in my heart.  Recently, as I have been enjoying the book of Hebrews again and again, one such Scripture was Hebrews 2:10.  Not the entire verse but a small phrase in the verse.

"...for whom are all things..." This small phrase nestled within this Scripture of much greater significance gave me pause.  What I am sharing is not to be considered the sum-total of what this verse means but within this verse is a statement that I believe we, or at least I, often overlook, "...for whom are all things..."  The verse is referring to Jesus...for whom are all things. 

Often we consider that God created us, each of us, uniquely.  He made us. In fact, the next phrase in today's Scripture is "...by whom are all things..."  He created us.
Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."
Isaiah 43:1a  "But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel" 
God not only created us, but He created us FOR Himself.  We are FOR Him.  We are His.  Isaiah 43:1b "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine."
What does it matter?  What struck me when I read this and meditated upon this truth is that I don't often live as if I exist FOR Him, I live as if I exist for me, that I am my own.  This simple yet profound truth, once grasped and embraced, will change how we live life, what decisions we make, how we spend our time and money.  It realigns our priorities.  

You and I were created and are sustained not just by Him, but also FOR Him.  

Diane

No comments: