Thursday, January 01, 2009

The way of the cross...

As we consider a New Year, 2009, our propensity is to "turn over a new leaf," "start over," "get our act together," or "make a resolution." Recently, while reading "The Complete Green Letters" by Miles Stanford, I was again reminded it is not in my strength, my effort, or by shear determination that I will conquer my flesh, my old nature. All New Year's resolutions I have ever made lasted no more than a week and typically much less.

"Denying oneself certain things for a time, or even for all time, is not even close to the answer since the old nature will adjust and thrive under any conditions-anything short of death to self." (pg 43) In other words, our efforts to squash the flesh will only serve to force it into other areas. Short of death, it will simply morph into some other form and continue to scream for attention.

Let me give you an example from my own life. In 2001, I decided for a number of reasons to forgo desserts entirely. In about 6 months I lost 25 pounds. Here we are in 2009, and I have gained back about half of those pounds, not because I have started eating desserts again but because I have compensated in other ways to feed the old nature within me that cries out to be satisfied, even though it cries out from the grave because the Scripture clearly states my old nature is dead. "For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin" Romans 6:5-7.

Why are people who quit smoking prone to gain weight? Because instead of smoking they start eating.

"Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:11. Unless and until we reckon ourselves dead (done deal) we will be duped into believing the lie that our old nature, our old man, has a say in what we should do.

"For it is not scriptural to believe that the old Adam nature can be conquered in that manner (i.e. denial/mortification). It yields to nothing less than the death of the cross. It is altogether too tough to be killed by abusing the body or starving the affections" (A.W. Tozer-quoted by Stanford-parenthesis mine).

"The 'flesh' will only yield to the cross; not to all the resolutions you may make at a conference, not to any self-effort, not to any attempted self-crucifixion; only to co-crucifixion, crucified together with Christ (Gal 2:20). It is not putting yourself to death, but by taking, through faith and surrender, your place of union with Christ in His death." (G. Watt - quoted by Stanford)

So this New Year - instead of resolutions, instead of turning over a new leaf, let's choose to exercise faith and surrender to the reality of our death, the death of our old nature. Let us take our "flesh" to the cross where it will yield to its death.

Diane

No comments: