Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not I but Christ

About 2 months ago, (11-18-08) I challenged you, encouraged you to join our Higher Ground women with their assignment. "May I invite you to join our Higher Ground group with their assignment? For one week, frequently remind yourself 'not I, but Christ.'  In the ordinary things of your day, remind yourself, 'not I, but Christ.' When a difficulty comes and your flesh response is unChristlike, remind yourself, 'not I, but Christ.'  Each night, write down what happened.  How did you respond differently because you remembered you were dead?  Feel free to email me your stories. I'd love to hear from you."

The Higher Ground ladies had some very interesting stories from their assignment. Most of us realized we are much more "alive" than we were ever aware of. In other words, we had many opportunities to remember "not I, but Christ." There were numerous times in which our first, natural response was fleshly not Christlike. In addition, I realize that I have the heart of a rebel.  When I realized that my flesh was getting an upper hand, and I would remind myself "not I, but Christ," I found myself having a discussion with the Holy Spirit explaining all my reasons why His way wouldn't work or was ill-timed.  There is much room for growth in my life as Jesus continues to whittle away at the hardness of my heart.  

Now I want to ask, "How did you do?"  I only received one email response, out of over 800 direct subscribers to Victory call, so I'm really curious how the assignment impacted you. What did you learn about yourself?  If you did not take up the challenge in November or if you did it for one week, let me encourage you to do it now or do it again.  It is not a practice we should try out and then stop (which, by the way, is what I did).  We are called to live in light of our death, our union with Christ in His death. (Galatians 2:20; Romans 6:5-6) "Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:11. But not just that we are dead, but also alive to God.  "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).  

If we walked around saying, "I'm dead, I'm dead" I don't believe that would have the impact that remembering that I'm dead, AND that Christ lives in me. "Not I, but Christ."  

Diane

No comments: