Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Watching Our Words -(2)

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29 NASB

Next let's consider the words, "...only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment,..."

How often are my words those that "edify" or build up others? It's so easy to criticize, be judgemental, or speak with a negative attitude, to gossip, or discourage someone by what I say. Those words would then be considered to be "unwholesome," "corrupt," and even "rotten." But here we are instructed to be using our words for the good of those around us to build them up in the Lord, edifying them "according to the need of the moment." As we observe those we meet along the way each day, how can this Scripture be applied in our home, at our workplace, in the grocery store, at the post office, in our neighborhood, at the doctor's office, or while shopping at the mall? I need to ask myself, "Am I aware of 'the need of the moment' of those around me, or is my focus just on myself, and the things that I have to do?"

An encouraging word, an act of kindness, a smile, a word of affirmation can express the love, joy, and peace of the Lord to someone who may be having a difficult day. The Lord has been teaching me to be resting in Him in the details of my life, trusting Him for His timing and direction moment by moment. Perhaps this is so that I can observe "the needs of the moment" in the lives of those I come in contact with and share Jesus' caring love with them. 

Philippians 4:4-8 "Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Don't worry about anything, but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses every thought will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers (sisters), whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable - if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise - dwell on these things." CSB ( ) mine

"Watching Our Words" will be continued...

DeEtta

No comments: