Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Good Life

I have personally been attempting to read Proverbs on a daily basis, and I admit that I am fluctuating in my faithfulness to that task. My goal is to read daily the Proverb that matches the day of the month. Each time I read one of the Proverbs I am challenged in a new way. It would be great if I could do this to the point that I actually had them memorized. Having to admit my lack of discipline at times, I doubt that I can get to that place. So, I just continue to challenge myself to read them and receive my lesson for the day from Solomon. Let me share some thoughts from Proverbs 19 with you today.

Today, the media and Hollywood regularly attempt to define the "good life" philosophy and push it on each of us. Scripture has a whole different approach to living the "good life." Solomon had it all, but that's not what he attributed to the "good life."

Proverbs 19

1. Listen to instruction: vs. 16, 20, 27
2. Be kind to those less fortunate: v. 17
3. Discipline your children - help them stay on the right path: v. 18
4. Don't hang around with those that have no personal discipline in their lives: v. 19
5. Follow in God's ways, contrary to the view of finding your own path and making your own destiny: v. 21
6. Kindness and honesty are to be the norm in our lives rather than the exception: v. 22
7. Walking in the "fear" of the Lord leads to the "good life" and keeps us from evil: v. 23
8. Be diligent in all you do: vs. 15, 24

Are you experiencing the "good life?" Often we think or believe that the "good life" should just come to us, yet that is not what Scripture says... it tells us basically "if you do this... then you will know the 'good life'." Many of us are well acquainted with the verse in Romans 12, but repetition is good for us... it constantly reminds us that if we want to know what is "good" then we need to not follow the way of the world, but follow the ways of God.

Romans 12:1-2 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Lynne Jahns

No comments: