Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Subtle Slip

Lord, how have I allowed myself to ever-so-subtly slip into a negative mind set? A place I don't desire to be, nor that honors You?

I've allowed myself to practice more my version of the truth rather than Truth itself. I have rehearsed more self-pity than the Gospel. The predictable result is that I am teary lately and bothered by things I would not ordinarily be bothered by. I need to, want to, shift my eyes and my heart from me to Thee.

Right after writing the above meditation in my journal, I opened "The Seeking Heart" by Fenelon. The pen was dropped where I left off weeks or even months ago in the pages titled: "Help for Discouragement and Depression." I smiled to myself. Then I read these words: "Love God and stay still before Him. You would rather punish yourself, and stir up commotion, than forget yourself and look to God. Mourning your weakness will not make you better. It will only contribute to a good case of self-pity. The slightest glance toward God will calm you far more."

Once again, I smiled to myself. How gracious is God to lead me to a book I haven't picked up in weeks to speak words that my heart needed to hear this very day.

Have you experienced the subtle slip lately? Perhaps you like me, need to take that slightest glance toward God...and then another....and another until we are not glancing but gazing at our Savior.

Diane

No comments: