Monday, December 21, 2009

Who Are You?

Few Christians answer that question any differently then an unbeliever would. Yes, I am married to Dave. Yes, I have two children. Yes, I work at America's KESWICK. Yes, I have lived in New Jersey all my life. That is not who I am. At the core of who I am must be an identity that is given to me because of Jesus Christ. At the core we are either sinners and enemies of God, or we are sinners who recognized our need for Jesus to save us from our sin and sure death. If you have been saved then there is a tendency to struggle with the "before" Christ and "after" Christ identity. How little you and I probably ponder on who we are in Christ.

Maybe this is not the right illustration to use but I think it will lead to my point. Since I have been back to KESWICK this past January guests have commented that I "have the look" for my job. Now, I admit I like to have a nice appearance but I hope there is more to me than that. So it is with who we believe we are. It is nice to be someone's wife, mother, have a career, be good at what we do but that is not who we are in Christ. I am sure for most of us ladies we have been taught not to brag or be conceited. Certainly Scripture does not teach us to be so. Maybe that causes us discomfort when we think of who Colossians 1:21-22 and Colossians 2:10, 13 says we are.

I am reconciled, holy, blameless, above reproach, complete, made alive together with Him, and forgiven.

Are you comfortable with that description of yourself? I would not want to be just a description of my outward appearance. I want to know and believe that who I am in Christ is truth and to be comfortable, not in my own skin, but in who I am in Christ. Who I believe I am is not about vanity or love of self. Who I am depends on who Christ is and who He says that I am. Who He says I am is not vain conceit but truth.

Kathy Withers

Kathy serves at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. She is reconciled, holy, blameless, above reproach, complete, made alive together with Him and forgiven!!

No comments: