Monday, April 12, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER PSALM 51:10-13

For the last 2 weeks we have been meditating and memorizing portions of Psalm 51. This will be our third week of four.

I don't know about you but it's real easy for me to fall into a mindset that my sin doesn't matter THAT much because it's forgiven, all forgiven at the cross. I know that "good" Christians don't admit such offensive thinking but alas it is true. I lose sight of the heinousness of my sin. I become way too comfortable with it. I don't mean to, it's not intentional but by not intentionally focusing on the cost of my sin, Christ's brutal death on the cross, I lose sight of how despicable my sin is to God.

Sometimes it takes something outside of ourselves, such as a friend or a Sunday morning message, to point out our sin to us before we give our sin due consideration for what it is, repulsive.

Nathan, the prophet, was that friend to David. He confronted David regarding his sin with Bathsheba and murder of her husband Uriah before David finally repented and penned Psalm 51 as an outpouring of his broken heart and spirit, pleading with God for restoration.

Psalm 51:10-13:
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.

Recently, I was reminded once again of a wonderful book of Puritan prayers, The Valley of Vision. I would like to share just a portion of the prayer called "Continual Repentance":
"Grant me never to lose sight of
the exceeding sinfulness of sin,
the exceeding righteousness of salvation,
the exceeding glory of Christ,
the exceeding beauty of holiness,
the exceeding wonder of grace."

UPCOMING EVENT
May is fast approaching and we will be hosting our 2nd annual Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 8th. You can help in two ways. 1. walk - call guest services to obtain a walk package, solicit sponsors and come to the walk. 2. (this is a fun one) Sponsor Victory Call for the walk. We are having a friendly competition between the 2 groups of devotional readers (Freedom Fighters and Victory Call). Our goal is to raise more funds for the Victory Call team than the men raise for the Freedom Fighter's team. If you would like to join the fun, simply go to this link on our website https://01.secure.elexio.com/donations.aspx?id=366346&websiteurl=http://www.americaskeswick.org&siteid=2184 fill out the information and indicate in the "DESIGNATION" area : Family Freedom Walk: Victory Call or if you prefer make your check out to America's KESWICK and put in the memo line: FFW/Victory Call and mail to : America's KESWICK 601 Route 530 Whiting, NJ 08759. ALL DONATIONS MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, MAY 5TH in order to be counted for our TEAM. Come on ladies, we can do it!!!

No comments: