Thursday, April 15, 2010

You Want me to Read That??

Recently, Diane and I were traveling for business and we began to discuss some of the books we have enjoyed reading. Diane asked if I had ever read any Karen Kingsbury novels. I had not. I explained that I really didn't enjoy novels and found them to be a waste of time. At the same time I had been experiencing a reading dry spell. One evening I was scanning my bookshelf hoping to be inspired to read something. Then I saw it...a novel...and a Karen Kingsbury novel at that! I took it from the shelf and decided to try it. Since then I not only read the first series but I am now on book two of the second series. I am shocked that I am enjoying novels when previously they made me gag.

I got thinking about other books that I tend to ignore. As I continue to read through the Bible this year I have already come across some books that are hard and even tedious to read. I even found some books where the pages were stuck together because I don't spend too much time in them. Then there are the books we can easily ignore. They are too hard to understand... Ezekiel anyone? We know that the whole counsel of the Word of God is good for us but we tend to stick to our favorites.

Perhaps today you are in a section of the Bible that is difficult and challenging. On more then one occasion I have been tempted to skip over certain sections. But let's keep reading! I trust that you will find a nugget of gold when you least expect it. Who knows, you may just find out that the books you have ignored for so long may turn out to be the ones that end up blessing you the most!

Kathy Withers

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 51:12,13
12Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.

UPCOMING EVENT
May is fast approaching and we will be hosting our 2nd annual Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 8th. You can help in two ways. 1. walk - call guest services to obtain a walk package, solicit sponsors and come to the walk. 2. (this is a fun one) Sponsor Victory Call for the walk. We are having a friendly competition between the 2 groups of devotional readers (Freedom Fighters and Victory Call). Our goal is to raise more funds for the Victory Call team than the men raise for the Freedom Fighter's team. If you would like to join the fun, simply go to this link on our website https://01.secure.elexio.com/donations.aspx?id=366346&websiteurl=http://www.americaskeswick.org&siteid=2184 fill out the information and indicate in the "DESIGNATION" area : Family Freedom Walk: Victory Call or if you prefer make your check out to America's KESWICK and put in the memo line: FFW/Victory Call and mail to : America's KESWICK 601 Route 530 Whiting, NJ 08759. ALL DONATIONS MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, MAY 5TH in order to be counted for our TEAM. Come on ladies, we can do it!!!

No comments: