Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And His name shall be called...Wonderful Counselor

This week, I am inviting you to do a little daily exercise with me. Would you join me in meditating on our week's Scripture for even just 5 minutes each day? I believe we often rush past our Bible reading onto the next thing, checking it off our to-do list but in so doing fail to savor the Savior. Join me.

Isaiah 9:6-7
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.

And His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor... As I was mediating and memorizing this verse, I paused and considered what it would really be like if I embraced Jesus as my own personal Wonderful Counselor. Being a counselor myself, I realize that many people come expecting me to enlighten their situation and help them think through the Biblical course of action. Of course, it is never about step one do this, step two do that. It is much more likely to have everything to do with that personal aspect of their relationship with Jesus.

I don't have all the answers. Jesus does. I don't know the heart. Jesus does. I don't know all the surrounding circumstances. Jesus does. I can't make a decision without at least part of my flesh pushing its way through, Jesus can. We can't, Jesus can.

Are you willing to ask Him to be your Wonderful Counselor? And then heed His counsel? Embrace Him. He will be your guide. Learn to walk with Him daily, moment by moment, hand in hand.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 2+ grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: