Friday, June 10, 2011

Digging Deeper James 3:2 with points to ponder

"For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body." James 3:2

Points to Ponder:
Oh, how often I find myself not with just one foot in my mouth but two. I am often reminded of the Scripture that says, "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise" (Proverbs 10:19 NIV). I have spoken to many, many people who have shared that they will walk away from a conversation and mull it over in their minds over and over rehearsing what they said and how it might have been taken. Our words have power for good or ill.

Have you noticed how a few words of encouragement can bring a smile to someone's heart? Or a harsh word deflates their spirit? Sometimes our words are intentional and precise with the intent to hurt. Shocking? Not if your experience is anything like mine. I have been counseling 20 years, and I have witnessed it hundreds of times and if I were to be honest, I'm guilty of it myself.

James confirms that our tongue is an unruly member of our body, difficult if not impossible to perfectly control. It is such a powerful member that as it goes, so does the body. Pretty powerful member.

What hope do we have? "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!" Psalm 141:3

To be continued...

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: