Thursday, June 09, 2011

"He will supply all you need - just in time..."

During my first reading of Corrie ten Boom's amazing book "The Hiding Place", I was struck by the following story that she shared:

"Several years ago I was in Africa in a nation where a new government had come into power. The first night I was there some of the Christians were commanded to come to the police station to register. When they arrived they were arrested and that same night they were executed. The next day the same thing happened with other Christians. The third day it was the same. All the Christians in the district were being systematically murdered. The fourth day I was to speak in a little church. The people came, but they were filled with fear and tension. All during the service they were looking at each other, their eyes asking, "Will this one I am sitting beside be the next one killed? Will I be the next one?" The room was hot and stuffy with insects that came through the screenless windows and swirled around the naked bulbs over the bare wooden benches.

I told them a story out of my childhood."When I was a little girl," I said, "I went to my father and said, 'Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ.''Tell me,' said Father, 'When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?' 'No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train.' 'That is right,' my father said, 'and so it is with God's strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength to be a martyr for Jesus Christ. He will supply all you need - just in time....'"

My African friends were nodding and smiling. Suddenly a spirit of joy descended upon that church and the people began singing, "In the sweet, by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore." Later that week, half the congregation of that church was executed. I heard later that the other half was killed some months ago. But I must tell you something. I was so happy that the Lord used me to encourage these people, for unlike many of their leaders, I had the word of God. I had been to the Bible and discovered that Jesus said He had not only overcome the world, but to all those who remained faithful to the end, He would give a crown of life."

Although in 21st century America, we are blessed to not live in constant fear of becoming a martyr for Jesus Christ, we still do a whole lot of worrying. How many hours of our lives are consumed by anxiety? Why do we keep worrying about ourselves, our families, our friends, and all the what-ifs that life can bring our way when Scripture promises us that "my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19). Those of us with Type A personalities (yes, I admit I am one of them) don't always accept this promise as enough. We want to know when and how God will supply all our needs. In contrast, God's word commands us to "cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you" (I Peter 5:7).

Corrie ten Boom's story clearly illustrates that God wants us to not only trust that He will provide for us, but also trust that He knows when to provide for us, and that He may not provide for us until the very moment when we need it. When we are tempted to worry and fret, we can find encouragement in the words of the psalmist, "In God, whose word I praise - in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" (Psalm 56:4). We will go through difficult trials in this world, but if God is our rock and our salvation, we can look forward to an eternity spent with Him.

Andrea Poeth
Guest Services

DIGGING DEEPER
James 3:2-5 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says,he is a perfect man,able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yetit boasts of great things.

No comments: