Thursday, December 01, 2011

Conviction

It's a good thing when the Holy Spirit brings it AND we let Him change us. I have plenty of convicting moments, but one recently reared its ugly head again. "I hate food shopping." I do. My local store is called Stop & Shop and if I could, I would Shop and not Stop. Isn't there a drive-thru yet? I mean, do I really have to make a list, get in my car, drive to the store, get a cart, put food in it, pay for it, go home and put it away? Poor me...another trip to the abundant grocery store to select, within reason, almost anything I want to eat. Ugh, the decisions to be made! Let's see, store brand bottled water or Great Bear?

It's more like I "get to go" rather than "have to go". Alright, in this country most people aren't growing their own food supply, they're buying it somewhere; so in that sense, yes, I have to purchase it somewhere. That, in and of itself, should make me thankful, but it didn't.

At least not until HE went to work. I started to consider how blessed I am and all the choices I have.

Then... I got to know a young lady who has a burden for a country in Africa called Niger. She's been praying and fasting about spending some time there as a missionary and is waiting for the Lord to direct her. She shared with me about her burden for them and after reading some of the information on it myself I can see why she's burdened. I can also see why food shopping is NOT a burden!

Here's some of what she shared:
"Worst Harvest in 38 Years"
Niger. More than three times the size of California, this African country is among the world's poorest nations and lacks adequate supplies of food and clean water. Over 20% of all children in Niger die before their 5th birthday due to malnutrition and malaria and that, in the best of times. Facing the worst famine in recent history, the time has come for the church to stand in the gap on behalf of Nigerien souls who need hope...for time and for eternity.

I realize there are many mouths waiting to be fed and souls in need of cleaning out all over the world but if the Lord speaks to your heart on this need, so be it.

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?' The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:37,40)

For more information on the efforts to bring hope to Niger go to www.rockintl.org

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer
America's KESWICK

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:14
"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." (NKJV)

No comments: