Monday, December 26, 2011

Digging Deeper James 5:17-18 with points to ponder

Christ-mas is past, but the Christ LIVES. I hope your Christ-mas was more meaningful than presents and food. I know it is something we have to be intentional about otherwise we can easily get caught up in the glitter and lights, food and family. Praise God that because Jesus came in the midst of all those fun things, we have a greater hope, an anticipation of a greater home and family. I wonder what it will be like in Heaven on Jesus' birthday... Something to look forward to.

We are wrapping up our journey through James this week and because we still have 4 verses to finish, I hope you don't mind but I am going to do 2 points to ponder this week rather than a commentary and Points to ponder for each (which I'd need 4 days for).

James 5:17-18
Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

Points to Ponder
Can you imagine Elijah-like faith? He prayed in faith believing that his prayers mattered. Do you pray believing that your prayers matter? Honestly, sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. When was the last time you prayed for something so big that it was humanly impossible to accomplish? When was the last time you prayed for something that unless God did it, it would not succeed?

When I look at Elijah and read of his faith and prayer, I realize in comparison, my prayers are wimpy, lacking faith. I wonder what God would do if we just believed HIM for more. "And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief" Matthew 13:58.

Blessings,
Diane

Cross references:
A. James 5:17 : Acts 14:15
B. James 5:17 : 1 Kgs 17:1; 18:1
C. James 5:17 : Luke 4:25
D. James 5:18 : 1 Kgs 18:42, 45

No comments: