Wednesday, December 07, 2011

In Need of Repairs

A friend was recently in a car accident. She was injured but by God's grace she walked away with her life. Her car, however, was towed away. The estimate for the damages was astonishing yet they were not high enough to total the vehicle. After six weeks the car was returned looking brand new! A few weeks later my friend commented on a sticky door latch on the side where the car was hit and repaired. Still, no one would know that the repaired door had such an issue by looking at it.

Before I came to know Christ I looked okay on the outside but I was a wreck! I was walking around not knowing the injuries I sustained by going the way of the world. When I came to Jesus I knew that my fractured relationship with my heavenly Father was healed, yet I needed a lot of work! There are days, even 23 years later, when I find it hard to believe that God the Father sees me through the lens of Jesus - perfect, whole and new. Often, more often than I care to admit, this is not how I see myself. I know where things are still out of alignment. I know where the sticky places lurk in my heart. Still, Jesus paid an astonishing price for me and He continues to tweak here and there when necessary - which is most of the time! He sees all the beauty of His handiwork in my life but He also knows what needs His attention next. As willing and able as God is to tend to the areas of my life that need His expert touch, I must be willing. I hear that rattle of grumbling in my heart but I think it will just go away by itself. I tug at the door of "loving others" and for the life of me I can't open it. What gets me is when I know something is wrong but I choose the quick fix rather than the Master's touch.

Are you in need of a touch from the Master today? He already knows how to fix it.

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 26 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:13-15
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

No comments: