Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Grown Up Perspective

I am just about finishing the first month of reading through the Bible for 2012. It is said that 30 days makes a habit. I hope they are right! I have finished Genesis and made my way into Exodus, just about completed Proverbs for the first time this year and put a good dent into Matthew! Yippy!

This past week's reading brought back an odd memory. While reading about the plague of frogs in Exodus, I could still see in my mind the pictures that were in my Bible Storybook as a child: A picture of Pharaoh and A LOT of frogs on glossy paper. I share this memory because I believe by the end of the year I will see some things I haven't seen before. I believe I will find promises that I have read before but now speak to my heart in a new and real way. I believe my recall of passages will be sharpened. I believe that I will have scripture written on my heart and in my mind. I believe I will be amazed, as I forge ahead, at the new insights that will come to mind as I read stories I have "known" for years. New pictures will be filed away to be brought back to my memory even years from now.

I wonder if I pulled out that old Bible Storybook, would the picture be as I remember? Maybe that picture of Pharaoh wouldn't be as handsome as I recall. Maybe those frogs would not look so slimy in that glossy picture. The difference: Growing up! Aren't you excited that as we grow we will know Jesus and His Word more and more? I am sure it has happened to you, too. A familiar verse all of a sudden is new because you are reading with adult eyes. And that picture you have of who Jesus is? Well, you just saw Him, the real HIM, not the Jesus you made up in your head long ago! It is exciting to see things in a grown-up perspective but there is only one way to see differently - continue to be in the Word and get to know Jesus!

What's going on in your world this morning? I pray that you will see Jesus today in the midst of it all. Don't just rely on your memory but get a fresh glimpse of Him today.

John 14:26-27 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 26 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

No comments: