Monday, March 12, 2012

COMPASSION

Luke 7:13 "When the Lord saw her, His heart overflowed with compassion. "Don't cry!" He said" (NLT).

I realize that this verse is referring to another situation involving Christ, but the picture this passage describes always touches me. Do we as Christians tend to show this kind of tender compassion?

I think of my dear friend who didn't attend church for years. The reason? When my friend was quite young she had a therapeutic abortion at a doctor's suggestion. This was long before Roe vs. Wade and long before the protestant Christians were known to take a stand against abortion. My friend had no one to guide her; she was frightened and uninformed. She had no hesitation in telling people of her decision. I am certain she would not choose to abort at this time.

Years later she heard a woman from her church call her a "baby killer." Instead of drawing my friend towards the church and other Christians, that lady's comment drove my friend away from church and the love and compassion she needed so badly. My friend was hurting so deeply. Because she did not find compassion within the church, she stopped attending church. Years later, my friend finally returned to a new church where she found true compassion and acceptance and almost NO judgment!
Do people who have strayed from God's plan know they will find compassion with you? Can you honestly give the person a compassionate hug and say "Don't cry! God still loves you!"

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

No comments: