Friday, March 30, 2012

Rebellious Refusal

Early in Ezekiel's writing, in the book with his name, God calls him to speak forth whatever words He puts in his mouth. At the time Ezekiel was in exile in Babylon along with the other displaced people.

Chapter 1 describes the first recorded vision Ezekiel had of God's glorious presence. If you have time, read it trying to picture this vision as described. It isn't an easy task. As I read it, probably more closely than I ever had, I couldn't help but imagine the task it must have been for Ezekiel to put into words the glorious vision. Inspired by the Holy Spirit he recorded, in words, what must have generated a mixture of awe, confusion and reverent fear.

Ez. 1:28 Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Chapters 2 and 3 record God's directions to Ezekiel to go to "...the people of Israel, to nations of rebels, who have rebelled against me." 2:3

"The descendants also are impudent and stubborn: I send you to them, and you shall say to them, "Thus says the Lord God, ' And whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house) they will know that a prophet has been among them...And you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear, for they are a rebellious house." 2:4-7

God clearly is telling Ezekiel to speak forth the words He puts in his mouth - even to this rebellious people, whether they will listen or not.

"...all my words that I shall speak to you receive in your heart, and hear with your ears. And go to the exiles, to your people, and speak to them and say to them, "Thus says the Lord God,' Whether they hear or refuse to hear." 3:10-11

When God calls us to share His word with another person - our responsibility is obedience to our Savior, our commander, our God. It is not our responsibility to discern their response; that's God's responsibility.

The people described in verse 4-7 don't sound all that different from many people we know.

I think often what happens when prompted by God to share the gospel is we clam up because "what if they get mad or make fun of me or reject me or ask questions I don't know the answers to..." So rather than step out in faith, we disobey in fear (in other words we rebel in our refusal).

If God calls us to share His truth with those that will refuse it - let US obey and let THEM be the rebels.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is part of the ministry team at America's Keswick. She is a regular writer for Victory Call and one of the authors of Crossing the Jordan Bible Study. Diane has been married to her husband John over 27 years. She has 2 adult children and 3 grandchildren and 3 adult step-children with 7 grandchildren making 10 in all. She delights reading and teaching, but mostly laughing at the funny things her grandchildren say and do.

No comments: