Monday, June 20, 2005

Easy Faith?

A short while ago, I was putting together a lesson for Higher Ground, our women’s Bible study support group. I occurred to me that many of us want faith to be easy. We want to feel it before we believe it. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t happen too often in my life. After all, if I
feel it then believe it, is that faith?

Hebrews 11:1-3, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.”

Let’s take a moment to compare that Scripture to the definition of faith in the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary. One of the definitions says, “Firm belief in something for which there is no proof; complete trust”. When I read that, I got stuck on the part that said, “no proof”. Although
Hebrews 11 says “evidence of things not seen”, that does not mean to me, “no proof”. What “proof” is that upon which we can rest our faith?

I believe the proof we have is God’s character and history. God is faithful (Isaiah 49:7). God is the giver of good gifts (James 1:17). God keeps His promises (Joshua 23:14). God delights in His children (Psalm 147:11). The Scripture is laden with evidences of His involvement with His people and His trustworthiness. This week we will consider some of these examples. Our faith is not without proof. Our faith is rooted in The Faithful One. It is firmly grounded in the heart, character and trustworthiness of God Himself.

Your challenge for today is to take a few moments to consider the "proof" you have seen in your life personally, and to thank God for His faithfulness.

Diane

No comments: