Friday, May 05, 2006

DESTORYING STRONGHOLDS

2 Corinthians 10:3-5, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

We have looked briefly this week at some thoughts about spiritual warfare and I thought it would be appropriate to close the week with this verse from 2 Corinthians. So much of our battle is won or lost in our minds. Our thoughts have powerful influence over our emotions. Thoughts precede emotion. If I think depressing thoughts, I will feel depressed. If I think anxious thoughts, I will feel anxious. Our bodies do not know the difference between reality and fantasy. We know the difference in our minds but our bodies do not know the difference. Our body is like a thermometer. It simply registers the emotions connected to our thinking. As an example, have you ever watched a scary movie and felt your heart racing or watched a love story and cried? Why is that? It is not real, it's make believe, but you body doesn't know that it reacts as if it is reality.
Much of our battle whether it is self-inflicted or spiritual warfare is going to be won through the renewing of our minds through right thinking, by thinking truth. Romans 12:2, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."
Some days it is battle to cling to truth when error is screaming in our ear, when error is what we feel. But ladies, we can choose to believe truth even when we feel the lie. Let me repeat that because I need to be reminded of that today. We can choose to believe truth even when we feel the lie. Our weapons for warfare are not carnal but MIGHTY in God for pulling down the strongholds of error.
I have been asking God to destroy a stronghold in my life and in any others in my family that struggle likewise in this bondage. I am learning that the process God goes through to destroy a stronghold requires opportunities to face the stronghold and to apply faith and walk in obedience. So I have to remind myself that when I am tempted once again, God is giving me another opportunity to break another link in the chain that shackles me. Step by step victory is won!! Step by step freedom is found and delighted in.

Diane

No comments: