Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pride can get us off course.

"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not
to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think
soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." Romans 12:3

This week we are giving consideration to people in the Bible that
started well but did not finish well. I am hoping it will be an
encouragement to you not to make the same mistakes they did, to stand firm
and finish well. I selected this verse because I think it is an area in
which our next illustration derailed. As I read through the Old Testament
account of Saul, it seemed to me that among many other problems, one of his
downfalls was pride, thinking more highly of himself than he ought.

He started well: "There was a man of Benjamin whose name was Kish the
son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bechorath, the son of Aphiah, a
Benjamite, a mighty man of power. And he had a choice and handsome son
whose name was Saul. There was not a more handsome person than he among the
children of Israel. From his shoulders upward he was taller than any of the
people...As they were going down to the outskirts of the city, Samuel said
to Saul, "Tell the servant to go on ahead of us." And he went on. "But you
stand here awhile, that I may announce to you the word of God." 1 Samuel
9:1, 2, 27.

But Saul did not finish well: "Now the word of the LORD came to
Samuel, saying, 'I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as king, for he
has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments.'
And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night...But Samuel
said to Saul, "I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of
the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel." 1
Samuel 15:10-11, 26.

Pride can get us off course. Thinking more highly of ourselves then
we ought will derail us every time. If we want to persevere, stay the
course, finish well, it requires a pervasive attitude of humility. "Humble
yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up." James 4:10.

Diane

No comments: