Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I didn't say it I only thought it...

I didn't say it I only thought it...

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. "Eat and drink!" he says to you, but his heart is not with you.

Some thoughts to ponder:
What a big mouth!
She looks so fat in that outfit!
I wish they would shut up!
I really hope he doesn't sit next to me...he smells bad!
What a pain that person is!
Oh no, here comes so and so I'm going the other way!

Ever had thoughts go through your mind similar to these? Ever say them out loud? No. Oh, well then I guess it's ok if we only think them, right? Well, God's word says; as we think (and our thoughts come from out hearts), so we are. Not only that, but did you know God was a mind reader? That's right, He knows our every thought! Stop reading and ponder that thought for a moment...
I don't know about you, but speaking for myself I have had thoughts like some of the above mentioned. And let's call it what it is, sin. I really had a good dose of medicine in this area when my son was telling me a comment about a teacher that wasn't very kind. I replied to him; "You didn't say that did you?" and he said; "No Mom I didn't say it I only thought it."
Now where would he get the idea that this would be an acceptable practice? From me, where else! Here I was asking him if he verbalized it, being relieved he hadn't then glossing right over the fact that thinking it was wrong in and of itself. We both can learn a valuable lesson from each other, we were both wrong. Sometimes the best thing we can do for our kids is come down from our high horses as MOM and humble ourselves before our God and in view of our children. I thank God I can go to the cross with all my sins and there is room there for my child to kneel beside me.

Here's some ammunition for you ladies, when the thoughts that don't honor God come, and they will come,we can have a power-filled store house of verses hidden in our hearts. A dear neighbor of mine is in the habit of writing down a verse on an index card and taping it above her kitchen sink. I have since picked up that good habit. Maybe you will too...And don't forget to tell the kids why you do it!

Psalm 26:2
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me, try my mind and my heart.
2 Corinthians 10:4-5
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into obedience of Christ.

Dina

No comments: