Monday, July 17, 2006

We all stumble in many ways

"We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he
says, he is a perfect man (woman)." James 3:2

Again from the Beth Moore study "Believing God". In the lesson on 'The
Power of the Tongue", Beth encourages, "Let's ask God to help us form
holy habits to replace carnal ones." (p. 120) This is the page where we
are to journal, and I'd like to share mine with you today, as God has
been working on "kindness" in my thoughts, words, and attitude.

As I read the sentence about forming "holy habits to replace carnal
ones", I wrote, How appropriate! My thoughts as I got out of bed this AM
were, "I've always been 'a good person' with a lot of bad habits!" I've
thought of myself as good (kind) and want others to think of me as good
(kind) and nice, but this lesson has shown me it's not who I am in
public with others that's as important as my thoughts, words, actions,
and attitude about people in my "private" world. These are the things
that hinder my ministry and how God is able to use me in my "public"
world, and that's an obstacle to God's empowerment in my life and His
Word speaking to others through me. I've never been able to fully grasp
Philippians 4:8, and practice it in my life, but I think I'm beginning
to get it!! As my thoughts are centered on the true, the noble, the
right, the pure, the lovely, the admirable, the excellent, the
praiseworthy, my attitude and actions, as well as my thoughts and words,
will develop and display "holy habits to replace carnal ones".

I'm thankful that God doesn't give up on seeking to mature and perfect
us to be the witnesses He has chosen for us to be in serving Him.
(Isaiah 43:10)

So that is my prayer ~~ that God will continue to form "holy habits" in
me to replace the "carnal ones".

Djm

No comments: