Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Whew!

Whew!
It did not occur to me until fairly recently how much work it is to pray. Perhaps that's because I wasn't really exerting much effort doing it. In May and June, several people in my life from family to friends to co-workers to counselees have walked through deep waters. I was, and continue to be, compelled to pray for them. Initially, it was almost constantly on my mind. I was praying periodically with others and then silently much of the rest of the time as I worked my way through those things in one's day that don't go away when trial strikes.
I found the constancy of need and the multiplicity of problems - serious problems, life and death problems, emotionally and physically draining. I almost, almost felt like I was running out of words to say that were not falling into vain repetitions.
All that to say, I was out of shape. I have begun (after 23 years a believer) to see prayer similar to physical exercise. I have shared this illustration before but it provides a picture of what I am talking about here. About 18 months ago, I decided to see how many military style push-ups I could do (on my toes, not on my knees). The first day I think I could do about 3 and that with much moaning and groaning (for effect). Every other day I practiced and over several months I built up the muscles in my upper body until I could do 30 pushups. I kept that up for a while but over time I gradually stopped practicing. Recently I tried to see how many I could still do - 10! That's it - 10! If we don't use our muscles, they loose their strength.
In much the same way, I believe prayer is like a muscle. It requires regular practice, effort and perseverance to develop a powerful and effective prayer life. "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16. What is fervent? "exhibiting or marked by great intensity of feeling : zealous" (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). I believe that is what Paul meant when he said "...pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17
In the past several months, the Lord has taken a number of our faithful prayer warriors home. They will be sadly missed. Who will take their place? I believe that through the recent situations at America's Keswick, God is training up a new generation of prayer warriors. Are you up to the challenge? Are you ready for some prayer exercise to build your prayer muscles?
I am so grateful for the privilege and power of prayer. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16. What good is a privilege if we don't avail ourselves of it and the benefits that go with it?

So Ladies, don your battle armor. Develop the prayer muscles necessary to become part of the next generation of prayer warriors that will tirelessly ward off the enemy and stand in the gap with and for those in the heat of the battle.

Diane

No comments: