Friday, July 13, 2007

It's Only a House

It is only a House.....

Joshua 24:15 b
..as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Recently, I had an Aunt and Uncle move close to where I live. Most of my life they lived far enough away that we would see each other on holidays, weddings and all that other fun family stuff.

I knew of my aunt in a much different way than I am getting to know her now. There was one thing that always stood out in my mind, and now I see it even more clearly. This was the aunt that at Christmas time would give us Bible story books, Bible games and pretty much every gift was Bible related. My father always spoke of her with such respect and referred to her and her husband as two people that walked with God.

As a child this just stuck with me. She always held a special spot in my heart, even though I rarely got to see her. I remember her enthusiasm and spunk that she always had for the Lord. It was not a Sunday only thing; my Aunt and Uncle lived life daily, as full time Christian workers, but had ordinary jobs. Their daily life reflected their love for the Lord and His work.

Now that they are down here and closer to me, I have been able to spend time with them. Their love for the Lord, His people and their service to Him is still evident in their lives. They are older now and can not get around as much as they used to but WOW, how they still serve Him!

In spending one night at their new apartment they told me a little story....

When selling their house they decided to pray about it. The house was built many years ago by my Uncle's parents, who built it for the purpose of using it for the Lord and His people. When my Uncle got married he took over the house for his family and that original purpose remained; this house must be used for the Lord. There has been close to four generations from this family in the house and it is still standing firm; it was built to serve the Lord. Their desire and prayer was to sell the house to a Christian family who would maintain the original purpose and use it to serve the Lord.

They had several offers and the one chosen was not the highest bidder but the family that were Christians and said they needed a house where they could serve God's people.

My aunt and uncle needed to think through whether or not to sell high or low; they still had their needs to consider financially once they moved. But the Lord was leading them to sell to the lower bidder and know that this house would still be a place where the Lord would be served. They just knew God would honor this decision and their needs would be met by Him not the sale of the house.

Even in the apartment they are in now....the verse, "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord" still lives on.

I can truly say I have seen this verse exemplified in the lives of my Aunt and Uncle and I praise the Lord for such Godly examples.

May I always remember that for me and my house we will serve the Lord, too.

Lynn W

No comments: