Tuesday, July 03, 2007

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Food For Thought

My Doctor looked at me over her eyeglasses and said "You need to watch your weight".
I knew I had been buying clothes in bigger sizes. But was food really a problem?

As I began to understand what my body needs versus what my body wants I found out how much I was eating. I realized that over the last year I had been eating more for various reasons. Food was a comfort when I was stressed, angry or needed a little consolation. Food was a friend when I was lonely or bored. Food was what I was using to fill voids in my life. Food was not only filling my stomach but filling areas of my life that Jesus wanted to fill. He desires to be my comfort. He desires to be my friend. He desires to fill all the empty spaces in my heart. Food had taken places that are rightfully His. In those times of stress, anger, boredom and loneliness I turned to something other then Jesus Christ.

Okay, let's be real! Turning to anything but Christ to fill our needs would be? Yes, an idol! I admit it! How did this little monster begin to grow? Easy. Whenever we focus on ourselves rather then Chris t we lose sight of our Helper, our Comforter, our Friend and we begin to take care of things our own way.

Now, I needed to slay the little monster by re-focusing. I needed to focus again on God's Word and as I did I began to have verses about food jump from the pages. Things like God providing manna for the Israelites spoke to me of God's provision for my sustenance not my gluttony. Just as the Israelites had struggled for all the goodies back in Egypt, I struggled with the desire for a bag of Lays Leek and Garlic potato chips and had to fight off my own desire to be in bondage once again (Numbers 11). Then I read about Adam and Eve and realized in a new way that the fall of mankind took place over a piece of fruit! (Gen. 3) I found good company with the disciples who seemed to always be worrying about food and where to find it. (John 6:7) Then there is the crowd that knew Jesus fed thousands and so they came to Him to fill their stomachs but really didn't want anything else He had to offer. (John 6:22-26)

But what stopped me in my tracks is found in Job 23:12b - "I have treasured the words of His mouth more then my necessary food." Wow! That got to the heart of the matter in a hurry! I began to ponder how important food can be to me. Think for a moment about all that encompasses food. How much time we spend food shopping, planning and preparing food, cooking food, eating food, waiting for a table to get into our favorite restaurant and watching the Food Network.

Now think about the amount of time you and I treasure God's Word more then our necessary food? Ouch! I have skipped meals for many reasons but I don't recall ever missing a meal because the Word tasted so good that I could not bear leaving it. When was the last time you got so caught up in reading and pondering God's Word you forgot to eat? God's Word is an awesome feast and often we grab some crumbs on the go and run. Maybe Jesus is looking at you and me saying "You need to spend more time with me." Or "You need to allow me to fill you with Living Water and provide you with your daily bread." Or "I wo uld like you to add some "meat" to your diet."

A healthy way of eating is to have small meals through out the day. Why not keep a Bible in your desk or purse and have a little more necessary food before you eat! "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter then honey to my mouth!" Psalm119:103

Kathy Withers serves at the Keswick Bookstore and is a speaker available to speak at your next ladies function. For information, contact Ruth Schmidt at 732-350-1187 ext. 21

No comments: