Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Excuses, Excuses

Excuses, Excuses!

Yesterday I wrote you concerning the benefits of physical and spiritual exercise. I know you may have come up with your own excuses but here are the top ten excuses for not being physically or spiritually fit for that matter!

10. I really hate to exercise. Physically- do what you enjoy. Spiritually- if journaling is hard don't try to write a book. Just write a letter to God. I bet you will write more then you think! Add singing to your quiet time even if you can't sing! Be creative!

9. I've tried to exercise but I keep quitting. Physically- do what you can; start somewhere but don't bite off more then you can chew! We quit when we try to do too much too soon. Spiritually- Don't think you have to begin with an hour in prayer! Try a few minutes a day building consistency, add time as you progress.

8. I can't afford a gym membership. Physically- God gave us two legs! Go for a walk! Spiritually- We can get caught up in the words of men thinking we need a lot of extras but God's Word and a teachable heart asking for wisdom is all you need.

7. I'm not seeing any changes in my body. Physically- you didn't gain weight overnight; it won't come off overnight either. Spiritually- Trust God is at work in you even if you don't see the changes right away. He began a good work in you; He will be faithful to complete it!

6. I don't know how to exercise. Physically- Try an exercise video, book or website or a personal trainer. Spiritually- try THE Book, a recommended video; website or a sister in Christ.

5. I want to exercise but I'm too busy. Physically- Schedule the time, have your family join you so you are still spending time with them, use your lunch break to walk.
Spiritually- Schedule a quiet time into your day. Write it on the calendar if needed.

4. I can't stay motivated. Physically- Remind yourself of your goals and what you need to do to reach them. Reward yourself when you reach a goal! Spiritually- What is your goal? How will you be different in 3 months? Who will you become because you spent time with Jesus? Time in the Word will reap rewards you can't even think of right now!

3. Exercise hurts! Physically- You should not be in pain but feel a slight burn. Spiritually- You may not always be in pain but you may feel the burn of conviction!

2. I can't make the commitment. Physically- Don't think long term. Do what you can today. Start small work your way up. Spiritually- You are in a process. Start small and work your way up. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

1. I don't have time. Physically- Inactive people have the same number of hours in a day as those who are active. Spiritually- The godliest person you know has the same amount of hours in a day as you do!

Funny, we don't run out of excuses we just use the same ones over and over again! So get rid of your excuses!
Kathy

No comments: