Friday, September 28, 2007

I Don't Do Planes

I don't do planes...
I am the youngest of seven. My oldest sister, hmmm, lets say has a few do's and don'ts. To start off she does not "do" planes. There will be no plane travel of any kind. If she can't get there by driving, she doesn't need to go. She doesn't "do" swimming either. She doesn't "do" hills, particularly going up. Why? Well...if she has to stop that would bother her so...no hills. She is asthmatic and doesn't tolerate the heat well, so she does do air conditioning, full blast and right on her if possible. So...riding in the back seat of a car is a "don't". Her four children are all adults. Now that they are grown, she doesn't "do" children. Grandchildren? Yes; Children? No. Lastly, (not exhaustively) she doesn't "do" cooking. That's something her husband takes care of.
I share these things only with her permission. It prompted me to think about what I don't do...and why? I remember a few years ago when I was griped by panic attacks and I told my counselor that I didn't like to go over bridges. I will not let it stop me, but I don't like it. I was afraid my car might get out of control (catch the control issue) and I'd be over the bridge. I would go but it was stressful and I hated it. He gave me a little nugget that I keep in my heart for the bridge crossings. He said; "Dina, you're not building the bridge, just driving over it." Right after that I was asked to go to Philadelphia to pick up someone that was giving a writers seminar at Keswick. Wow, that would be cool. I could pick her brain all the way home. But...that Ben Franklin bridge! Couldn't I just ferry over? Does the bridge have to be so stinkin' high? Would I let my fear stop me? No. When I was returning home I was so caught up in conversation I actually saw the beauty in the bridge! I w as glad I went. I always remind myself of that truth. Does the fear still rear its ugly head? Not always, but sometimes it still does. And I remember the truth and drive right over that bridge!
What don't you do? Is it holding you back? Is it something you should fear? There are things worthy of our fearful caution. And then there are irrational fears that hold us in bondage, cause us great stress, worry and sometimes panic. This may be a good time to take a little self inventory and ask ourselves what evidence there is to have such a fear, and then ask the Lord to take the lies that hold us back and leave only the truth that sets us free. HE is able. Here are some nuggets of truth from God's word we can all hide in our hearts:
2 Timothy 1:7, For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
Psalm 34:4, I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
John 16:33, I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Dina

No comments: