Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Criticism

Criticism

Criticism is the act of finding fault with... Oswald Chambers: "The average Christian is the most penetratingly critical individual. Criticism is a part of the ordinary faculty of man; but in the spiritual domain nothing is accomplished by criticism. The effect of criticism is a dividing up of the power of the one criticized; the Holy Ghost is the only One in the true position to criticize, He alone is able to show what is wrong without hurting and wounding."1

The dividing up of the powers of the one criticized. This is a powerful word picture. Basically, we are "cutting a person into pieces" by criticizing. Criticism overflows from a haughty heart. How can I say that? When I criticize another person, I am saying "I know better than you do." "I think so highly of myself that I must tell you how and why you are wrong." I know of what I speak, because by nature I can be very critical. I am learning to be less critical, but I have a long way to go. I still have a critical spirit even if I'm keeping it more to myself. The best cure for a critical spirit is a good dose of humility. "Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, and before honor is humility." Proverbs 18:12

If criticism serves to divide one's powers, then Biblical encouragement should serve to strengthen them. Rather than criticizing others, let us choose to encourage them. "Therefore encourage one another daily, as longs as it is called today..." Hebrews 3:13 -- Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

No comments: