Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Ways, My Thoughts, My Preferences

My Ways, My Thoughts, My Preferences

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." ~~ Matthew 7:2

Why are our ideas and plans, the way we see and plan them, the only way we think a thing can be? Why do we persist in only seeing and processing the world as we ourselves are? I grow weary of this very human trait as I see it in myself and as I see it in others. In fact, on a daily basis life affords me numerous opportunities to observe and judge this in others. Thereby, providing many opportunities to see how that "thing" lies in me.

Today someone sent me an email with the following encouragememt:"Jesus is concerned that we not have a critical spirit toward others, especially about their motives as to why they did something. We can't assume to know another person's heart; only God can. When we are unfairly critical, overly harsh, or unduly judgmental, we need to remember that God will use that same standard on us. I don't know about you, but I need grace. So do those I love. I'm going to try very hard to be as gracious toward others as I'm trusting that God is going to be gracious with me." (Source unknown)

I need grace! You need grace! We all need grace! Everyone we look at to judge, criticize or disdain for some untoward deed done, etc., etc., etc., needs grace. I may prefer or like Christian contemporary-southern-gospel-praise and worship music with a jazzy twist, while you prefer music which is more classical in nature. What I like may hurt your ears and make you cringe inside. Your particular preference might make me yawn. Is it possible that God's grace is big enough to remind us of the bigger picture? I believe so...I know so! Therefore, may it lead us to extend the grace we have received to one another ALL THE TIME!

"Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.
Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God's grace, Grace that is greater than all our sin."

Stephanie Paul is Director of Women's Addiction Recovery Ministries
1 http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/g/ggreater.htm

No comments: