Friday, August 15, 2008

Who Will You Follow?

Who will you follow?

"Find someone whose product you like and follow them." This advice was given to my husband and me when we were still in college. It is great advice.

Many of us find ourselves thrust into the middle of raising a family, working with a spouse, and trying to be successful in a profession with very little hands-on training.When Glen and I were teachers of a young couples' Sunday school class, we asked the couples to write down what they hoped to learn in the class.

I expected the answers to include the books of the Bible they wanted to study. Instead, the women shared, "I don't know how to cook or prepare for company. Can you help me?" The men stated, "Should I have a will for my family? I'm not sure how to set up a budget. Can you teach me how to trim my shrubs?"On Saturdays, I invited the ladies to come to my house, and I taught them how to prepare recipes for company. On Sunday evenings, the couples came over to enjoy the food we had prepared. We often invited someone to speak, such as a financial planner or an estate planner.

As Christians we should be ready to teach our children and others the Christian way as well as teaching them skills for general living. My dear friend Eva Brandt was willing to help me become the Christian mother I wanted to be. She even stayed with my children from time to time and often left me encouraging notes. She encouraged me and urged me not to be weary in well doing. I have had several Christian mentors: Marva, Florence, Eva, Henry, Cedric and John have taught me much about raising children, studying God's word, and becoming God's woman.

Are you willing to find someone whose product you like so that you can learn from them? Are you willing to invest in someone else by transmitting what God has taught you on to them?"Likewise, teach the older women .....to teach the younger women" (Titus 2:3) "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others." (2 Timothy 2:2) Marilyn Heavilin is an author, speaker, and counselor-in-residence at America's KESWICK

No comments: