Monday, August 25, 2008

Tell All

Tell All

Psalm 38:18 "I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin."Hosea 14:2 "Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: 'Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.'"

What do you do after the Lord has convicted you of sin? When the Word has penetrated your heart and shown you an area that needs to be cut out? The Word of God tells me it's not enough to be convicted of sin in my life...the next step is to confess it.

It can be argued that...well... I've been convicted of sin and I have acknowledged it in my life, isn't that enough? Why do I also have to confess it to God? Scripture is filled with verses that tell me I must confess my sin to God. It is His requirement.

In the book of Hosea we are told to "take words" with us when we come to the Lord in confession. The Lord wants to hear how deeply sorry I am for my sin. I am acknowledging that I have sinned against a holy God and that His Son Jesus paid the price of my sin. It is very humbling to stand before a righteous and holy God and confess my sin. There is something that happens when you begin to "take words" with you to the throne of God, there's an unburdening that takes place that can't happen any other way.

Along with confession is repentance. If I have truly confessed and repented there will be a change that will happen in me. I can't remain the same...it's impossible. And change is never easy but impossible in my own strength.

Repentance is a turning away from sin and going 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Today, for me, this means Jesus will be a part of my conversation...intentionally... when I speak with lost family and friends. What if they reject me? Well, I should expect it...Jesus was rejected by family and friends first. Sharing Jesus with those I love, sowing seeds of faith, outweigh the possibility of rejection...their very souls may depend on it. Mary Ann Kiernan is the Intake Manager at the Colony of Mercy

No comments: