Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Distracted From Fearing God

I love to read and often I will read more than one book at a time. After awhile I realize that I am not finishing anything at all. Another topic or title has distracted me from the previous one. Later I usually look at the first book I began reading and I am convinced that I need to finish what I started. My intent is usually good but I get distracted easily!

Malachi 2: 1-9 speaks about the Levites who started off well but then got distracted. It seems that the priests had learned the fear of the Lord but eventually the next generation of priests got distracted. They were no longer listening to God, taking anything God had to say to heart and they were not giving glory to God's name. The priests were already offering sloppy sacrifices because they had become weary of God's instructions (Malachi 1:6-14).  They had lost the fear of God. Verse 8 says, "'But you have departed from the way; you have caused many to stumble at the law. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi,' Says the Lord of hosts."  Previous generations had started off well, fearing the Lord their God but now all of that seems to have faded away. The new generation had become fearless towards God, not keeping His ways. Their attitude shifted from one of fear to one of fearlessness. Their eyes turned form God and slowly they found themselves far away from where they should be.

How about you and me? Has our fear (reverence and awe) of God become a duty? Are we weary of all God has asked us to do? If so, Malachi 2:5-6 encourages us to be mindful of the fact that God offers us life and peace so that we may fear Him. Note especially verse 6 that says - "He walked with me in peace and equity and turned many away from iniquity." If we are losing our fear of the Lord we are giving up the life and peace that He offers us. Should you find yourself fearless turn back to see the Lord, high and lifted up in His rightful place, and walk with Him. Like Enoch and Noah, who walked with God, may it be said that you and I did not depart from the way but walked with the Lord in fear without distraction.

Kathy Withers

Kathy serves in Guest Services at America's KESWICK. She is married to Dave and has two adult children.

No comments: