Friday, January 15, 2010

Hear a Word from God...

As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him form heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" And he said, "Who are you, LORD?" the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads." So he, trembling and astonished, said, "LORD, what do you want me to do?" Then the LORD said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." Acts 9 3-6

Wouldn't it be great if we heard from God like Saul did, in audible words leaving no doubt as to whether we heard from God? Have you ever had God speak to you either audibly or in your spirit? I know there are people who do not believe that God still speaks to His children this way, but from my experience, personally and professionally, my own belief is that He still does speak to His own.

There have been times when I knew, that I knew, that I knew God had spoken to me and no one would have been able to convince me otherwise. But God doesn't always speak to me this way; in fact for me it is the exception rather than the rule. That is not to say that God doesn't communicate to me in other ways.

Most of the time, God speaks to me directly through His Word as the text that I've read dozens of times suddenly seems to jump off the page at me or I see something in the text I never saw the other 35 times I read it.

Sometimes we miss "hearing" God's voice because we are looking for the dramatic Damascus Road experience when God has chosen to subtly whisper to our heart. Are your heart and spirit poised to hear from God today in whatever way He sees fit to "speak"? Listen intentionally. Listen intently.

Diane

No comments: