Thursday, January 28, 2010

More of God

I think most of us could say and do say, "Lord I want more of you." This has been part of my prayer life for some time. I want to know God more intimately. I love God but I don't think I love Him near enough. I want to always be in His will and I would love to hear clearly from Him when I'm confused about which way to go. I don't think I'm alone in having these desires.

I believe we do hear from God in various ways and through various means. The problem is even if we did hear the very voice of God we would still question. Reading in the book of Exodus I would say we are in pretty good company.

Exodus 33:12-14, 17-18 Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people." The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name." Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory."

Moses actually spoke with God!!! God gave him the awesome task of leading the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land. Moses knew he had this task to do, God had told Him but he still wondered who God was going to send to be his right hand man...just hearing God's instruction was not enough to give him confidence. Moses believed he found favor with God but he still wanted to know God more intimately. He was not satisfied and hungered for an even deeper relationship with God. This is hard to understand! Moses actually was able to speak to God and hear His voice. YET, it wasn't enough... he wanted more. It is true that the closer you get to God, you just hunger to be even closer.

In response God promises that His Presence will be right there beside Moses every step of the journey so he will never be alone. God also promises to give rest to Moses. What a deal!

Moses wasn't satisfied. He wanted still more of God! And in verse 17 Moses boldly asks, "Show me your glory!"

If Moses can boldly ask for more of God there isn't any reason why you and I can't boldly ask for a deeper relationship with Him, or to hear from Him. But no matter how much deeper and richer our relationship will grow, I don't think we can ever truly be satisfied this side of heaven. I can only imagine that when we see Him face to face in glory, it will only be then that our longing for a deeper relationship will be satisfied.

1 Corinthians 13:12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

I look forward to the day when hunger for Him will be filled to the max!

MaryAnn

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 36 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of 3 grandsons. She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

No comments: