Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Rejoice In Suffering

Wow! I have just read and studied about who I am in Christ and who Christ is! Colossians has started off really well! But then there's Colossians 1:24-29. Paul begins to speak of his sufferings. Each of us could write volumes on our own personal sufferings. Yet, I would not be honest if I were to write that I rejoiced in my sufferings like Paul did. I could tell you that my heart was hard at times. I could say that my fists were tightly clenched and even shaking towards heaven at other times. I even recall times when the darkness of my sorrow seemed to swallow me up and I didn't care one way or the other. It has only been recently that I can say I am learning to rejoice in my suffering.

If you and I are to rejoice in our sufferings then we must choose to look for things other than our personal comfort and well-being and the answer to the question "Why?" Sam Storms in his book "Hope of Glory" gives this challenge: "If we do not look beyond suffering to the greater spiritual goal that it achieves, it will breed bitterness and resentment rather then joy. If we regard suffering as an end in itself, that is to say, if we fail to take "the long view"- to see it in the light of its eternal consequences (2 Cor. 4:14-16), God will appear cruel and life meaningless." So what should our focus be in our sufferings?

Suffering draws us closer to God. (Phil 3:10)*
Suffering assures us that we belong to Christ. (John 15:18-19)*
Suffering brings a future reward. (Romans 8:18-25)*
Suffering is inevitable, but it is temporary. (1 Peter 1:6)*
Suffering for the sake of the gospel should be counted a privilege. (2 Thess. 1:4-8) *

How are you handling suffering today? What might God be teaching you?

*A Women's Guide to Spiritual Wellness by Rhonda H. Kelley

Kathy Withers

No comments: