Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Beth at the Airport" (Part Two)*

Well dear ones, if you're reading this for the second day then, I'm oh so glad. There is a nugget here that is worth pondering for each and every one of us. And, as we are in the first quarter of a new year, this provides an opportunity to risk being, this year, God's instrument of love in a way that is unnatural, uncommon and maybe even a bit uncomfortable.

Let's continue with this true story directly from the writer herself: "I looked down at my Bible as fast as I could, discomfort burning my face. As I tried to imagine what his story might have been, I found myself wondering if I'd just had a Howard Hughes sighting. Then, I remembered, he was dead. So this man in the airport was an impersonator maybe? Was a camera on us somewhere?"

"There I sat trying to concentrate on the Word to keep from being concerned about a thin slice of humanity served on a wheelchair only a few seats from me. All the while my heart was growing more and more overwhelmed with a feeling for him. Let's admit it - curiosity is a heap more comfortable than true concern, and suddenly I was awash with aching emotion for this bizarre-looking old man."

"I had walked with God long enough to see the handwriting on the wall. I've learned that when I begin to feel what God feels, something so contrary to my natural feelings, something dramatic is bound to happen. And it may be embarrassing. I immediately began to resist because I could feel God working on my spirit and I started arguing with God in my mind."

"Oh no, God, please no."

I looked up at the ceiling as if I could stare straight through it into heaven and said, "Don't make me witness to this man. Not right here and now. Please. I'll do anything. Put me on the same plane, but don't make me get up here and witness to this man in front of this gawking audience. Please, Lord!"

There I sat in the blue vinyl chair begging His Highness, "Please don't make me witness to this man. Not now. I'll do it on the plane." Then I heard it..."I don't want you to witness to him. I want you to brush his hair." The words were so clear, my heart leapt into my throat, and my thoughts spun like a top. Do I witness to the man or brush his hair? No brainer.

I looked straight back up at the ceiling and said, "God, as I live and breathe, I want you to know I am ready to witness to this man. I'm on this Lord. I'm you're girl! You've never seen a woman witness to a man faster in your life. What difference does it make if his hair is a mess if he is not redeemed? I am on him. I am going to witness to this man."

Again as clearly as I've ever heard an audible word, God seemed to write this statement across the wall of my mind. "That is not what I said, Beth. I don't want you to witness to him. I want you to go brush his hair."

Okay dear ones, once again we shall pause in this story and ask the question, "what is the thing that the Holy Spirit Himself is gently or not so gently prompting you to do?"

In no way, shape, form or fashion, am I talking about the grand things; nor am I referring to those big things that bring you that warm fuzzy producing pat on the back. I'm talking about that other thing that's deep inside of you that just won't go away no matter how many ways from Sunday that you twist it. Or maybe it's not a deep thing. Maybe it's a gnat that keeps showing up in front of your face and no matter how you swing and flail your arms and hands it won't stop pestering you. Worse yet, perhaps it has the dogged tenacity of a sand flea, landing on you, sinking it's teeth in and biting you over, over, over and over again until you do something about it.

Dear sisters in the faith, whatever it is, it's likely between you and God alone. Whatever it is, let's do it without further delay. Someone may just need their hair brushed. The story continues tomorrow...

Stephanie

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "instrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiction Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:26,27
26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. 27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

*(Beth Moore in the Airport was used by permission of Living Proof Ministries in Houston Texas)

UPCOMING EVENT May is fast approaching and we will be hosting our 3rd annual Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 7th. You can help in two ways. 1. walk - call guest services to obtain a walk package, solicit sponsors and come to the walk. 2. (this is a fun one) Sponsor Victory Call for the walk. We are having a friendly competition between the 2 groups of devotional readers (Freedom Fighters and Victory Call). Our goal is to raise more funds by the Victory Call team than the men raise for the Freedom Fighter's team. Last year Victory Call subscribers raised $760.00 and Freedom Fighter’s subscribers raised $725.00. Victory Call WON! In reality, the Addiction Recovery ministries won because together we raised $48,968.65.

If you would like to join the fun, simply go to this link on our website https://01.secure.elexio.com/donations.aspx?id=366346&websiteurl=http://www.americaskeswick.org&siteid=2184 fill out the information and indicate in the "DESIGNATION" area : Family Freedom Walk: Victory Call or if you prefer make your check out to America's KESWICK and put in the memo line: FFW/Victory Call and mail to : America's KESWICK 601 Route 530 Whiting, NJ 08759. ALL DONATIONS MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN SATURDAY, MAY 7th at 2 PM in order to be counted for our TEAM. Come on ladies, we can do it!!!

No comments: