Tuesday, April 05, 2011

"Beth Moore in the Airport" (Part One)*

Today has been a busy and yet very productive day for me and I have to admit it feels downright good. I made my list, checked it twice and proceeded to get done with each task on it, one at a time. It's amazing to me how God can multiply my time when I don't think I have enough to "do my list".

One of the things on my list that I was sure I wouldn't get to today was writing the Victory Calls that were up to me to write for the month. As I sat at my desk I decided to take a break and check my email. A good friend had sent me something with an attachment that was quite lengthy. My usual practice with such things is to delete because I just don't have the time to read them. Another reason I tend to delete is when I actually do take the time to read such an email, it's an untrue story that ends with some statement or two designed to provoke guilt in you if you dare break the cycle, chain or the proverbial circle. Please spare me the drama. There are enough true things in life to be genuinely encouraged by.

Anyway, I took a chance and read the email I received and I can only say I was blessed! More importantly I was reminded that it is the smallest of gestures that can be a healing, soothing, compassionate salve to a heart that needs the touch of human hands. After I read the email I instantly wanted to share it with all my friends, but I don't really have that many so I just emailed it to a bunch of people in my mailbox and asked them to risk the time it would take to read it.

So what does this have to do with my "to do list" and getting to the writing of Victory Calls for the month? Well, dear ones, I have decided to share it with all of you. And as it is a bit lengthy, I have cut it into parts that will cover the entire week. I know I'm asking a lot and I know some of you may pass on it. That's okay. If just one or two of you are encouraged to be the hands of God as Beth was in this story then it's all good. Even better, if we decide together to BE His Hands extended -again and again- in whatever way He will lead, then it will be a moment or moments worth rejoicing over. We will know that for the glory of the One who came to save and for no other reason, a hand has been extended and a hand has been received.

Here is part one of "Beth in the Airport". "For those of you who don't know Beth Moore, she is an outstanding Bible teacher, writer of Bible studies, and a married mother of 2 grown daughters. She is a member of First Baptist Church, Houston, Texas. The following took place on April 20th, 2005 at the airport in Knoxville."

"Waiting to board the plane: I had the Bible on my lap and was very intent upon what I was doing. I'd had a marvelous morning with the Lord. I say that because I want to tell you it is a scary thing to have the Spirit of God really working in you. You could end up doing some things you never would have done otherwise. Life in the Spirit can be dangerous for a thousand reasons not the least of which is your ego.

I tried to keep from staring but he was such a strange sight. Humped over in a wheelchair, he was skin and bones, dressed in clothes that obviously fit when he was at least twenty pounds heavier. His knees protruded from his trousers, and his shoulders looked like the coat hanger was still in his shirt. His hands looked like tangled masses of veins and bones. The strangest part of him was his hair and nails. Stringy gray hair hung well over his shoulders and down part of his back. His fingernails were long. Clean, but strangely out of place on an old man."

We're going to have to pause here and continue tomorrow. I hope you come back to read the rest of the story. The question for the week: What little thing has the Holy Spirit been prompting you to do that is yet undone? Hmm?

Stephanie

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "instrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiction Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:26,27 26If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. 27Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

*(Beth Moore in the Airport was used by permission of Living Proof Ministries in Houston Texas)

UPCOMING EVENT May is fast approaching and we will be hosting our 3rd annual Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 7th. You can help in two ways. 1. walk - call guest services to obtain a walk package, solicit sponsors and come to the walk. 2. (this is a fun one) Sponsor Victory Call for the walk. We are having a friendly competition between the 2 groups of devotional readers (Freedom Fighters and Victory Call). Our goal is to raise more funds by the Victory Call team than the men raise for the Freedom Fighter's team. Last year Victory Call subscribers raised $760.00 and Freedom Fighter’s subscribers raised $725.00. Victory Call WON! In reality, the Addiction Recovery ministries won because together we raised $48,968.65.

If you would like to join the fun, simply go to this link on our website https://01.secure.elexio.com/donations.aspx?id=366346&websiteurl=http://www.americaskeswick.org&siteid=2184 fill out the information and indicate in the "DESIGNATION" area : Family Freedom Walk: Victory Call or if you prefer make your check out to America's KESWICK and put in the memo line: FFW/Victory Call and mail to : America's KESWICK 601 Route 530 Whiting, NJ 08759. ALL DONATIONS MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN SATURDAY, MAY 7th at 2 PM in order to be counted for our TEAM. Come on ladies, we can do it!!!

No comments: