Friday, May 06, 2011

Digging Deeper James 2:12-13 points to ponder

James 2:12-13
So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Points to Ponder
At first read, I thought this verse said, "So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law." I thought that odd since we are no longer under the law and living under the law is bondage. "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1) When I read more carefully, I realized it said "So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law OF LIBERTY." That's a big difference. We are under the law of freedom, not bondage and surely that makes a difference in the way we live. Do our lives reflect our freedom in Christ in our words and actions, especially towards others? In that Christ has set us free, we have been shown mercy by God. When we lose sight of that, we can be prone to be critical and judgmental.

Mercy triumphs over judgment. Judgment is so much easier and self-satisfying, isn't it? Judgment portrays me as the determiner of what's right, it elevates my opinion as most accurate and important. It is self-centered, self-righteous, and self-seeking. Isn't having a critical, judgmental spirit a nuance of a proud heart?

Mercy, on the other hand, removes me from the center of the universe and treats the other person as more important than myself. True mercy is an act of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

The next time I am tempted to be judgmental, I pray the Holy Spirit will remind me that I have been shown mercy and that I am no more deserving of it than the other person. I pray that His reminder will humble my heart and lead me to speak and act as one who is judged by the law of freedom and shown the mercy of God.

Blessings,
Diane

PS This is the final week before the Family Freedom Walk (Saturday, May 7th). If you would like to sponsor one of the staff or Colony men, please contact Guest Services at 1.800.453.7942 or go to our website www.americaskeswick.org (Give Now button). By the way: Ladies, we are doing well in the Freedom Fighters/ Victory Call competition.


Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: