Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Practice Makes.....

Everybody knows the expression "practice makes perfect." I was told that over and over as a child taking piano lessons. The need to practice was essential.

However, the expression really is somewhat false. Practice does not make perfect, it just makes permanent. If you practice correctly, whatever it is you practice, then yes, it makes perfect the execution of what we are learning. But if we practice incorrectly, or the wrong way, then that pattern becomes ingrained in us and is very hard to break. Practice something the wrong way and you will always tend to do it the wrong way.

Maybe you've also heard this: Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson1

What we practice spiritually also becomes our habit, our character. What are our daily "practices" as we walk with God? Do we spend time with Him? Do we seek His face daily, in every circumstance? When difficulties come, is it our practice to run to Him? Do we worry, fret, try to figure out how to deal with things - or do we make it a practice to give it to Him?

These are things that I am learning, and working on practicing correctly so that practice truly does make "perfect."

7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 3:7-14 NKJV, emphasis mine)

May we press on as we practice becoming perfect in Him!

Ruth Schmidt

1 http://quotationsbook.com/quote/10741/#ixzz1IwWCZrh6
on Quotations Book

Ruth Schmidt is on full-time staff at America's Keswick, and grateful to be a daughter of the King.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 2:12-13
So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Special Project - you're invited!
Calling all cooks! Keswick will be producing its own cookbook (the first new one in many years) and we want YOUR favorite recipes! Please submit your recipes to me by May 15. This can include favorite from the conference kitchen, as well as your own family favorites.

No limitations: appetizers, salads, soups/stews, casseroles, entrees/meats, vegetables/side dishes, breads/muffins/etc, desserts (cakes/pies/puddings/cookies/candy/etc.)

Please submit typed or CLEARLY printed recipes – check your measurements for accuracy. Include your name, and if there is a SHORT personal story about the recipe, include that as well (i.e. something you always have Christmas morning).

So start digging through those recipes cards and find your favorite. Email them to rschmidt@americaskeswick.org

No comments: